Saturday, October 19, 2013

"How's the job search going?"

I will be honest: I absolutely underestimated how difficult finding a job would be. It has been nothing short of an emotional roller-coaster of extremes; yet also an opportunity to refine my goals, articulate my skills and experience, and concretize what motivates and impassions me. Reflecting on the past couple months of my job search has revealed a cyclical pattern of emotions and mental states:

1.     -Determination-
I am well educated, have great experience, and so much passion I can hardly contain it. I KNOW I’ll find something meaningful and/or relevant, I just have to put in the time to polish my resume and write awesome cover letters. (This phase lasted me about 5 weeks).
2.     -Inspiration and strokes of brilliance-
At this point, my life is like a blank slate: the world is my oyster; I can do anything; I have the freedom to go anywhere; and the possibilities are seemingly endless, because I have so much life ahead that whatever industry I choose now has very little bearing on my future (career-wise). And ideation is on full throttle-especially when I’m trying to fall asleep- constantly tapping into the entrepreneurial mind, creating business ideas or solving problems.
3.     -Disillusionment-
Checking my email EVERY half hour, anxiously awaiting responses (good OR bad) from any of the 50 applications I sent this past month. Slowly realizing most of them won’t even read the cover letter I spent 2 hours perfecting, let alone write me an email. Beginning to question my own qualifications and wonder, “why doesn’t anybody want to hire me?”
4.     -Dejection-
That wave of overwhelmingness finally crashes and I feel like I’m drowning. I’m never going to find a job. I’m never going to pay off my school loans. The job market is awful, capitalism is heinous, and our education system has failed us. I want to curl up into a ball and give up trying to pursue my passions and aspirations of ‘making an impact’. Can I apply for unemployment yet? I may or may not have resorted to browsing Craigslist. But, I keep cooking with turmeric, reading The Onion, and somehow submit more applications.
5.     -Hope and Unbridled excitement-
Every time I see a new position advertised that I feel I would truly love to have, I experience an intoxicating enthusiasm and think is this what all this waiting and frustration has been about? The perfect job for me, which will launch my career, just hadn’t presented itself yet- until now! I should’ve been more patient, trusting, equanimous, GROUNDLESS. I proceed to spend 4 hours tailoring and perfecting my resume, cover letter, writing samples. All hope is restored and I start fantasizing about paying off my credit card and loans, buying a bigger bed, going on trips and vacations, having a savings account again!
6.    -Panic and desperation-
The high from unbridled excitement soon fades when I realize it was probably a far-fetched goal, anyway, and I won’t be hearing back at all. I skip disillusionment and free fall to panic. I’m moving back home tomorrow. Oh, I don’t have money for a plane ticket. I’ll apply for 10 incredibly random craigslist jobs and try not to sound overqualified. Hell, I’ll even work for FREE to get out of my apartment and try to gain some relevant, concrete skills while I play the Waiting Game. Can I give up now?
7.     -Newfound resolve-
No, giving up is not an option. Curling up and crying isn’t helpful. I suck it up and find a way to make some short-term money while I continue the job search. After all, I have applied to so many places recently that a few have to be contacting me soon with news, either good or bad (right?). Maybe even an interview?! I am getting better at narrowing the search and articulating my strengths. Even if it takes longer than planned, it’s not the end of the world. Isn’t there a saying about failure before success? I got this. And I’ve learned some valuable lessons, gained invaluable perspective and done some serious soul-searching that has been incredibly beneficial to my personal development. 

*Sprinkle anger and frustration throughout* (rinse and repeat)

Everyday is different, yet this cycle often repeats itself in miniature throughout my days. Frustration seems to be a constant, though. Frustration at the overall system and world we live in, or frustration at a particular job requirement; frustration at the lack of responses, at starting to feel idle, at running low on money; and mostly, frustration at how badly I WANT to put my education, passion to use yet can’t even get my foot in the door. ALL I need is the chance. The chance to rise to the occasion, to prove myself capable. In the words of a wise friend, I am HUNGRY for a job, a paycheck, stability. Amazingly, I am not frustrated or at all bothered by the incredible amount of uncertainty this job search has created. In fact, that’s one thing I revel in the most: the excitement of so many possibilities! 


“Don’t worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come? 
Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous” - Voltaire

3 comments:

  1. Wow Angelica,
    I just read your posts and I absolutely love your blog. You write so nicely.
    Keep it up !! (both the blog's beauty and the job hunting ;) )
    Giulia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelica,
    I can relate to you with this blog entry. As John Lennon once said, "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.” You've come so far, so don't give up now.
    Tooni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! You're both awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete